- Mark Wilkins and Mason Filippi Win the WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca 120
- Bryan Herta Autosport Teammates Robert Wickens and Harry Gottsacker Earn Second Place Result
- Hyundai Sees Four Elantra N TCR Finish in Top Six Positions
- Wilkins and Filippi Take Drivers’ Championship Points Lead
FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., May 15, 2023 – Hyundai Motor America won at the manufacturer’s home event as Mark Wilkins and Mason Filippi took the checkered flag to win the 2023 WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca 120 in the IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge (IMPC). Piloting the No. 98 Hyundai Elantra N TCR for Bryan Herta Autosport, Wilkins and Filippi battled for the lead of the two-hour event with BHA teammates Robert Wickens and Harry Gottsacker before the No. 98 held the lead off the field after halfway-point pitstops. Reigning 2022 IMPC Drivers’ Champions Taylor Hagler and Michael Lewis finishing sixth.
With Saturday’s victory at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca, Wilkins and Filippi now assume the lead of the IMPC Drivers’ Championship points standings after three rounds of competition. “Winning at Hyundai’s home race always adds some inspiration,” said Mark Wilkins. “I know I felt that when we won a few years ago. So, coming in today I knew we had a good car. Mason did such a good job and we’ve had so much support from everybody, and our guys just executed. Great result for Hyundai and a great result for Bryan Herta Autosport. So excited for the next one!”
Driving together for the first time in 2023, the pair have finished on the podium in each of the first three races. “We just won here at Hyundai’s home race at Laguna Seca,” said Mason Filippi. “Not only do we have the whole country supporting us from Hyundai USA, but also really cool to see how many N owners we had out here. We talked to so many today, it was really awesome.”
Hyundai’s Team USA comprisedof Taylor Hagler, Michael Lewis, Harry Gottsacker and Mason Filippi – now all head across the globe to Germany for the final chapter of their journey to the ADAC TotalEnergies 24H Nürburgring endurance event. The ADAC TotalEnergies 24H Nürburgring begins on Thursday, May 18th, with practice and qualiyfing sessions before the the green flag drops on the ADAC TotalEnergies 24H Nürburgring race at 4pm CEST on Saturday, May 20, 2023. Watch the action live on motorsport.tv.
- Top Finishing Hyundai: First place for the No. 98 Hyundai Elantra N TCR driven by Mark Wilkins and Mason Filippi
- Top Qualifying Hyundai: Second place for the No. 98 Hyundai Elantra N TCR driven by Mark Wilkins and Mason Filippi
- Hyundai takes the lead in the manufacturer’s standings with 970 points. Honda is second with 940 points, Audi third (930) and Alfa Romeo fouth (910 points).
Hyundai Motor America
Hyundai Motor America focuses on ‘Progress for Humanity’ and smart mobility solutions. Hyundai offers U.S. consumers a technology-rich lineup of cars, SUVs, and electrified vehicles. Our 830 dealers sold more than 724,000 vehicles in the U.S. in 2022, and nearly half were built at Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama. For more information, visit www.HyundaiNews.com