Hyundai Monterey Sports Car Championship Preview
- Hyundai is Title Sponsor of Race for the Second Year in a Row
- Hyundai Drivers Prepare to Defend First Place Standing
- Race: Saturday, Sept. 11 at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca
- LIVE on NBC Gold Track Pass
FOUNTAIN VALLEY, Calif., Sept. 7, 2021 – Hyundai drivers prepare to defend their current first place standing in the manufacturers’ championship at their title sponsored event, the Hyundai Sports Car Championship at Weathertech Raceway Laguna Seca on Saturday.
Hyundai driver Taylor Hagler is also on pace to be the first female IMSA champion and earlier this season became the first female driver to win a TCR race in North America. She and teammate Michael Lewis hold a 90-point lead with just three races to go. Hyundai currently leads the manufacturers’ championship by 20 points over Honda. For more information about the race, cars and drivers visit www.bryanhertaautosport.com.
Last year, Hyundai drivers Ryan Norman and Gabby Chaves won the Laguna Seca 120 during the inaugural Hyundai Monterey Sports Car Championship. This year there are seven Hyundai vehicles racing for the win at Laguna Seca.
- Round: 8 of 10 in the 2021 IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge (IMPC)
- Racetrack: WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca, Salinas, Calif.
- 238-mile road course, featuring 11 turns
- Race: Saturday, Sept. 11, 2021, at 7:40 p.m. EDT (4:40 p.m. PDT) (2 Hours)
- TV: LIVE on NBC Gold Track Pass
- Live timing and scoring from each session available at IMSA.com
- Live radio commentary for every session at IMSA.com and www.RadioLeMans.com
- Replay: NBCSN Tuesday, Sept. 21, at 5 p.m. EDT
The first of five episodes of Hyundai’s new racing web series, “Next Level,” was just released. The first episode, titled “Robert’s Return,” takes viewers behind the scenes of Robert Wickens’ return to the cockpit since he became paralyzed in a horrific IndyCar accident three years ago. Watch “Next Level” on Hyundai’s YouTube channel: (23) Robert Wickens’ Return | Next Level Ep. 1 | Hyundai – YouTube.
Hyundai IMSA Racing Background
Hyundai has proven to be the most reliable manufacturer since joining the IMSA Michelin Pilot Challenge in the 2019 season. Since then, Hyundai has won 51 percent of the races it competed in and secured two driver championships and one manufacturers’ title.
Hyundai recently introduced the high performance, road going sister car to the Elantra N TCR racecar, the Elantra N. Race fans will get their first look at the Elantra N at WeatherTech Raceway Laguna Seca. Learn more: The all-new Elantra N Highlights | Cars Hyundai Worldwide.